Makino’s V33i vertical machining center is the ultimate formula for success in hardmilling extremely accurate dies and molds out of extremely hard materials.
The V33i vertical machining center incorporates a number of design features specifically designed to increase precision and maintain it for the long periods of time typical of most die and mold applications. With X- and Z-axes on the spindle and Y-axis under the table, the machine construction provides superior performance in a compact package. Designed with no overhangs or unsupported areas, the V33i delivers outstanding accuracy over the full range of the machine. Painstakingly polished to a precision finish, the guideways are integral to the machine castings to provide superior stiffness, rigidity and precision.
To ensure consistent accuracy over long cycle times, the V33i machine is equipped with the following features:
• Core-cooled ballscrews on all axes, including temperature control of the bearings support bracket area and motor mounting area to maintain component temperatures.
• Temperature control of the machine saddle and spindle carrier using oil passageways and temperature-controlled oil, ensuring tight control over saddle and carrier temperatures.
• Addition of a separate oilmatic unit for tight temperature control of the machine elements.
• Guideway hydraulic circuit on the X-axis to reduce friction and heat generation, yet maintain stringent control over geometries and accuracies.
The V33i spindle features Makino’s unique core-cooling and under-race lubrication system, minimizing thermal distortion at high spindle speeds. Integrated construction of the spindle and drive motor rotor reduces vibration during high-speed operation. The spindle design also incorporates the following:
• A shorter, stiffer, more rigid spindle design that ensures even greater stiffness, minimizes vibration, improves rigidity and ensures chatter-free cutting.
• Increased fluid mass flow through the spindle to reduce, even further, spindle thermal growth, facilitating tighter control over temperature within the spindle.
• The shorter spindle design and heightened temperature control permits a tightening of the spindle tolerances, reducing runout and increasing stiffness and rigidity.
In addition, the V33i is outfitted with the Makino Professional 5 control utilizing a Windows CE operating system to provide a stable, secure platform with reliable performance on the NC side, while providing an operator-friendly graphical user interface (GUI). This latest-generation machine tool control offers large color touch-sensitive, on-screen, menu-driven applications. Icons provide “hot links” and quick access to critical information that may be required by the operator. In addition, the new control platform provides all of the functions typical of a PC (cut, paste, copy, find, replace, etc.) that are rarely available on a machine tool control. Advanced data management technology and Makino’s proprietary, next-generation Super Geometric Intelligence (SGI.4) servo control deliver the lowest cycle times achievable by reducing machining cycle times on dies, complex cavities and cores by as much as 40 percent when compared to most other control technologies.